In today’s world, we all use Google to search for every answer. When Google shows the result, we click on the first few results of the webpage. Now, to get in the top rankings of Google’s search engine page, SEO plays an important role. Before strategizing SEO, we need to do Keyword research because Keyword research is an important part of SEO. You can learn the basics of Keyword research in a Digital Marketing course for a better understanding.
What is Keyword Research?
Keyword research is the process of finding out the words and phrases people use in search engines. Researching keywords helps us understand if you can get in the top rankings of the search engine page or not.
Now, it’s not just about how easy is it to rank, we have to consider other factors before finalizing a keyword. Things like volume, competition, etc, are also considered before finalizing a keyword. Keyword research is another major factor that affects SEO.
Points to consider while doing Keyword Research:
- Keyword Relevancy to the subject matter is very important to consider before writing any content. If your content is not relevant to the keyword then you might not rank on the top.
- Keyword search volume comes into consideration after that. Now, if you choose a keyword that no one is searching for then there is no point in taking that keyword. So, take the right decision here.
- Competition on a keyword tells you if you can rank it easily or not on the search engine page. If the competition is high, then obviously it would get difficult to rank because many other competitors are also going for the same keyword.
- The length of a keyword is also linked with the ranking. Long tail keywords with low competition are considered easier to rank easily compared to single phrases.
- Using variations of keyword in the content also called Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI). It also helps in triggering your content if someone searches for the same keyword with a variation.
Popular tools for Keyword Research:
1. Ahref: This is one of the best tools for Keyword Research as it gives you so much of detail. It tells you the keyword difficulty, search volume, CPC on that keyword, Global volume, etc. It’s a paid tool and it’s value for money if you want to do keyword research.
2. SEMrush: SEMrush is another tool that is really helpful when it comes to keyword research. It also gives you your competitor’s analysis on that keyword. This tool is also preferred for keyword research.
3: Keywordtool.io: This tool is really useful when it comes to finding keywords for different platforms. You can also find out keywords for YouTube, Bing, Amazon, etc.
4. Google Keyword Planner: Google has provided a free tool to search for keywords. This tool is perfect for beginners to search for keywords. It gives you many suggestions around that keyword. It also tells you the average searches and competition on a specific keyword.
5. Ubersuggest: Neil Patel, the famous blogger came up with this tool and it is really one of the best online. It gives you those keywords that you won’t find on Google Keyword Planner. This generates a list of keyword ideas and also tells you their easiness to rank.
Also read: How to find the perfect keyword?
These are some of the top tools for Keyword Research. There are a lot more tools for this purpose but here we have listed in the most used and popular ones. To learn these tools, you can join a Digital Marketing Institute and get a practical knowledge of their working.
How does Keyword Research help in On-page SEO?
After researching the keyword and its competition, volume, relevancy, we move on to the SEO part. When we write a title, meta description, URL, Image alt tag, we make sure that our main keyword is mentioned there. Inserting the keyword in the content is also important and that density is maintained up to 1%.
Mentioning Keyword in the Title, Meta description, Image alt tag, etc helps us to get in a better position on Google’s search engine page. Google has made these guidelines to rank in the search engine page. If you look at the top results, you will see that they have followed the guidelines that’s why they are coming on the top.
Remember, if you need traffic on your website, keyword research is the key point to consider. It’s the base for SEO. Even if you pay a big amount in ad campaigns, you won’t get any conversions or traffic because you haven’t done proper research. If you haven’t done keyword research, then you can’t get on the top rankings on the Search Engine page. So first, do keyword research and then move on to other SEO strategies.